Researchers and end-users of marine robotics technology are invited to attend EMRA’15. The workshop will summarize current EU FP7 and H2020 projects on marine robotics and provide a platform for marine stakeholders to share and discuss current technological challenges and achievements.
To researchers, EMRA’15 will offer the opportunity to disseminate current work and highlight new application areas that warrant further R&D effort.
To marine stakeholders, EMRA’15 will allow for the cross-fertilization of ideas and offer novel approaches to meet future challenges in ocean exploration and exploitation.
Welcome to EMRA’15, Lisbon, Portugal, June 18-19, 2015
The workshop aims to contribute to building bridges in marine robotics research, fostering cross fertilization of ideas between marine science and technology and commercial applications, and giving new momentum to outreach activities.
There is tight coupling between individual FP7 and H2020 projects and their intended applications audience, yet the technologies developed are applicable well beyond the original motivating problems. Currently, in order for marine technology stakeholders to fully digest the results of EU marine research requires that they attend too many overly technical, and often overly specific individual workshops. As a contribution to overcoming this situation, EMRA’15 will condense an exciting range of cutting edge research developments into a single, all encompassing, manageable event.
These projects are the outcome of intensive R&D work done at more than 30 EU research institutions and address challenging issues on single and cooperative AUV navigation and control, perception, decision making, mapping, resilience, intervention, and human-robot cooperation.
EC Projects Presentations
- Dana Yoerger, WHOI, USA – Mapping the seafloor in rough terrain with AUVs: mission planning versus real-time responses
- Jorge Relvas and Fernando Barriga, FCUL, Lisbon, PT – Challenges of seabed mining in a sustainable world: let’s do it right!
- Francisco Almeida, TEKEVER, Lisbon, PT – UAVs for Marine Applications
- Henrique Duarte, GEOSURVEYS, Aveiro, PT – The future of autonomous marine vehicles in Ultra High Resolution Seismic reflection surveys (UHRS)
- Konstantin Kebkal, EVOLOGICS, DE – Easily deployable autonomous hydro-acoustic assets for highly mobile and flexible arrangements (underwater sensor networks, testbeds, and integrated USV and AUV robotic components)
- Pedro Afonso and Jorge Fontes, UAzores, IMAR/DOP, Horta, Faial, PT – Marine Megafauna Telemetry Systems
- David Lane, Edinburgh Centre for Robotics and Ocean Systems Laboratory, Heriot-Watt University (EURobotics Board Member 2013 – 15) – SPARC: Report from the EURobotics Board, Future Possibilities in H2020 Robotics PPP
EC Projects Presentations
- Marine UAS
- António Sarmento, WAVEC, Lisbon, Portugal – Marine Technology Challenges and Opportunities in relation to Marine Renewable Energy
- Robin Sharphouse, Blueprint, Ulverston, UK – Developments in robust acoustic positioning and communications
- Ricardo Martins, Oceanscan, Porto, PT – The Light Autonomous Underwater Vehicle – Past, Present & Future
- Pere Ridao, Univ. Girona, Girona, ES – Intervention AUVs: Experiences and Challenges
- Alessio Turetta, Graal Tech, Genova, IT – AUV Technology: from concept to commercialization
- Rui Caldeira, CIIMAR, Porto, PT –Measuring small island-induced processes: Tech-savvy approaches
- Niels Nijhuis, CARIS EMEA, NL –An introduction to real-time data processing in autonomous survey operations
Laboratory of Robotics and Engineering Systems (LARSyS), Institute for Systems and Robotics (ISR), Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
WORKSHOP SECRETARIAT (Institute for Systems and Robotics, Instituto Superior Técnico – ISR/IST)
ACCOMMODATION – URGENT!
Please notice that Lisbon is a very popular spot in June. We strongly encourage you to make your hotel reservation at your earliest convenience.
IST has special agreements with the Olissipo and Turim Hotels (see the list below). To reserve a room in one of these hotels, please download the corresponding hotel registration form and submit it directly to the hotel by email with cc to Filipa Almeida (Falmeida@isr.tecnico.ulisboa.pt).